Dutch students (or students studying in the Netherlands) abroad

Dutch students who temporarily go abroad to study and do so while being younger than thirty, remain insured for long-term care. This means that they are insured for medical expenses during their stay abroad.

However, if they decide to work besides their studies, or when they have a paid internship, this might affect the way they should arrange their health insurance.

Dutch students stay insured in the Netherlands

When Dutch students decide to study abroad before turning 30, without any income, then they are still insured for the long-term care . It is also required that they keep their health insurance, which is needed for medical care under the Health Insurance Act.

When they need medical care during their stay in the country where they are studying or in The Netherlands, they need to take specific actions. Since the mode of action depends on the duration of their stay, as well as the country where they study, it is recommended that they contact their healthcare insurer well in advance for further information.

Dutch students who go abroad for more than a year

Everyone who studies and lives abroad for more than a year, remains insured for medical expenses by their Dutch health insurance, both abroad and in the Netherlands. The reimbursement of medical expenses is calculated according to the Dutch standards for a health insurance package and insurance rates. This means that it is possible that a part of the medical expenses are not reimbursed if they don’t fall under the Dutch health insurance package, or when the costs are much higher than they are in the Netherlands.

If Dutch students want to be sure of a full reimbursement of expenses regardless of the foreign insurance rates or insurance packages, then they should get a supplementary health insurance.

Through the reimbursement regulation for long-term health care abroad, they will at least maintain this insurance.

Note: These rules and regulations also apply to co-insured family members who relocated abroad with the student.

Dutch students who study abroad for less than a year

When Dutch students study abroad for less than a year their Dutch health care policy applies. They reserve the right to medical care from the Dutch health insurance, as far as this is consistent with the Dutch rates and your insurance package. When the medical expenses abroad turn out to be higher than they would be in The Netherlands, then in most cases the students have to make up for the difference themselves. If they want to be sure that all expenses are covered, then they should inform with their insurance company about a supplementary insurance.

As for the insurance under the long-term care (Exceptional Medical Expenses Act); they are entitled to this during their stay (less than one year) in the country where they are studying. The compensation for medical care abroad falls under the “Compensation regulation long-term care – health care abroad”.

Dutch students who are studying less than a year in one of the treaty countries can claim medical care under the statutory insurance packages of those countries.

European health Insurance Card

When studying less than a year in the EU, the EEA or in Switzerland, Dutch students should get an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) from their insurer. In the case of other treaty countries it is possible that they are required to request treaty form 111 instead of an EHIC.

The EHIC entitles you to emergency medical care, without you having to pay the costs then and there. The EHIC also guarantees the right to urgent medical care during a temporary stay in Australia. Treaty Form 111 only ensures the right to urgent medical assistance. Both for the reimbursement of medical expenses through the EHIC and treaty form 111, you will receive medical care under the statutory insurance packages from the respective countries.

In case of a study period lasting longer than a year in one of the treaty countries (except Australia), you are entitled to medical care according to the statutory insurance packages of those countries.

Convention Form 106

With the Convention Form 106, which you can request from your Dutch insurer, you can join a health insurer of the country of residence as a policyholder, according to the insurance package which is in force. In this case, the Netherlands will reimburse any medical expenses which are part of the insurance package from your country of residence.